Thursday 7 February 2013

Live Brief- Hoardings (Make your mark)


So, for our live brief this week we were all commissioned to create designs which could essentially be stenciled onto the blue boards surrounding the building site that is PCA at the moment. A fantastic idea and quite a fun project really!
I decided to choose some of my designs from Print Processes and adapt them for stencilling.

First though, i looked into some other stencilled work on Tristan Manco's website stencilgraffiti.com. I just wanted to get an idea of how i would need to change my designs so that they would be easy enough to make into a stencil.
Blek Le Rat-- Bold, block colours, simple shapes.
Snub23-- Bold colours, black outlines. I love the colour palette of this piece and the background too, how it interacts with the main characters of the design. 

With these images in mind, I began to sketch some ideas.
Page 1- I was jotting some new ideas which popped into my head, i think i like the prospect of the label type logo. I did some research into the college and found out that it was built way back in 1856 and thought that it maybe something that not many people realise so i wanted to include in my design, 
Again, these are new ideas i was playing around with, just trying to get the creative juices flowing. 

Here i was trying to create the appearance of a hole in the wall with the slogan 'Make your mark, make it here' behind it. I really liked the idea of showing people what goes on inside PCA and thought a literal hole in the wall would be a creative way to show this. 

Looking into the logo idea again, not sure how easy lettering will be for a stencil design but it will be done by lasercutter so perhaps possible. 


Trees! Not just because i love trees but because they represent growth, maturity and branching out trying new things. I have tried to integrate this idea with pencils to represent creativity and art. 
I chose to adapt this tree design from my previous print processes work and add some text to give context to the design. I have tried to make the tree trunk quite stylised to make it more of a design piece, also easier to stencil. For the foliage i have tried to create the illusion of it being pencil shavings. 
Same design, just drawn on blue paper so i can see what it would look like on the boards. 

Here i made my design into a vector image on Illustrator . Now  just have to choose the colour scheme!

In the end i settled for natural colours considering the content. I think the vividness of the blue background of the Hoardings boards would juxtapose with the neutral tones i have chosen for my design.

Idea 2
I decided to take my first idea forward and using pens i tried to figure out how i would create it as  a stencil. I like this design because i can make it fun and colourful but also because the writing allows me to get some information across. In this case, i have chosen the phrase 'inspiring creativity' because i think it sums up what the college is all about. 

To finalise the design i made it into a vector image by scanning in the blob shape and the oval shape separately and layering them in the same artboard. I love these two colours together and think they would stand out better against the blue background of the Hoardings boards. 
Although i like the colour scheme in the first image i decided to change it to make it stand out better. I think it really stands out now :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment