Friday 9 January 2015

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland- final illustrations

Sketches, drafts and development can be found in my sketchbook but here are my more final images.

Before our last group crit session i had these three images:


 I was pleased with my illustrations so far but i knew there were some changes that needed to be made. After some feedback and a couple of tweaks I am happy with how my images are looking and also how they sit together.

I adjusted the text on the cover so that it filled more space and it looks so much better in my opinion. 

There were no suggestions for changes to this image but i did take away two of the clouds from the top of the image because they were cut off so much it looked odd. 

I made a new horizon line for this image which seperates they sky from the foreground more. I thought about adding something behind the trees but i didnt want to complicate the image and i like the composition as it is. I also added shadows into this image to help ground the characters etc which has added depth to the illustration too. 


Overall i am happy with the outcomes, they are playful and fun and i think they reflect the book quite well. If i were to do it again though i would think about using a different medium, perhaps watercolours so that the image was less flat. Although i am much better at digital colouring now, i do not think i will ever create purely digital images, which is fine! I tried a little watercolour for these images, just for a bit of texture and depth and it has worked ok but not as strongly as i would have hoped or if i had just used watercolours. Lessons learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment