Monday 29 April 2013

Art and Language- Task 2

For task 2 I chose to illustrate a book cover for The Hunger Games. It was a book I had never read before which made it an intriguing challenge and I ended up really enjoying the book!
I chose to illustrate a scene from the book on the front, an image of the Hunger Games arena before the characters enter it. I thought it would be interesting to set the scene before you even open the book.
The back cover has set of puppet strings, there to represent the manipulation of The Capitol and the control they wield over the rest of the country. I chose to use orange for my first draft, trying to reflect the colours and theme of fire which is somewhat important in the book. I don't think i will use it for my final cover, it just looks too flat.
My second choice for colour was grey which really makes the trees stand out. I also changed the colour of the trees because i don't want the cover to be to dark, i really like the purple on it but i might make the background even darker so that it reflects the tone of the book better.
Not sure if the colours stand out enough on the dark grey...I may keep it lighter. I also think that the lighter one looks almos like one of the penguin classics covers which use limited colours in a repeat pattern. I like that my cover has this quality, i think it makes it appealing to a wider audience.

Final Book Cover Design.
This is my final design for the book cover. I am pleased with the overall layout  and colour palette and i feel that it reflects the book well without being too cliche. 

No comments:

Post a Comment