Friday 15 November 2013

Being a Student Ambassador...

I have been working as a student ambassador at the college for almost a year now and i only just thought about mentioning in as a part of my work based learning!
From February to July 2013 I worked with the Outside The Lines Group (part of the Saturday Arts Club) every Saturday morning. This was a relatively small group of 4-8 year olds and my tasks each week were to assist the teacher in setting up, gathering materials and helping the children when needed etc. I put myself forward for the job with great enthusiasm and had a lot of fun in these sessions. I learnt many new techniques and worked with a lot of different materials which was great but i also learnt more about time keeping, punctuality, lesson planning and communication which has been very beneficial.

During the summer holidays i had a fantastic opportunity of working with a group of students doing their Gold Arts Award at the college. This was a group of 14-18 year olds who worked intensively for three weeks, completing a number of creative tasks/projects and earn some UCAS points.
My job was to work alongside the Arts Award Assessor and provide help/guidance to the students when needed as well as my usual duties for the Saturday Arts Club (sourcing materials etc).
This experience was great and i got to work with a group of dedicated and very talented young people. They were brilliant fun to work with which really surprised me in some ways as i have been used to working with really young children (2 years working in a pre-school!) but this group of teenagers had a fabulous work ethic and it was a privilege to work with them.

Working with this age group for the first time was an eye-opener so when term time came around again i requested to work with an older age group for the Saturday Arts Club (now called the Young Arts Club). It is a completely different experience working with this age group compared to before. I am really liking being able to have conversations with the students and they seem to like asking my advice about their work which is quite cool!
Working with the Young Arts Club had made me reevaluate my previous ideas about teaching as a possible career, though i would go so far as to say i would probable prefer to work within further or higher education- something i will research further in work based learning i think.

No comments:

Post a Comment