Friday 31 October 2014

Collective Nouns

This workshop was a challenge at first because i really really dislike insects! However, i found that because i haven't paid much attention to them before, i needed to really analyse them in order to draw them correctly which, i think, has helped my illustrations.
I used a mix of media for this task, creating a poster with pencil, coloured pencil, watercolour and photoshop. At the time i wondered if all of these separate elements would hinder my design, or make it look disparate in some way but i am pleased with the result. I think the colours really come together and i am really happy with the composition too.


I decided i really would like to carry on with this workshop to further my outcome. I am please with it but i think i could take it so much further! With so many words and letter floating around i thought that these collective nouns would make a great concept for an A-Z book. Instead of the letter of the alphabet referring to the insect however, it would identify the noun, introducing a slightly different level of learning. I also thought it would be good practice to work on a book concept considering my future aspirations of being a children's book illustrator. I have not had much experience with designing books, considering page layouts etc and this project has helped me to address some of these issues. 
I chose two other insects from the original text to illustrate which i thought would be enough to show the potential of my idea and to be realistic with regards to time management. 

I really wanted to use a double page spread for these images (i looked at other A-Z books and these were similar) so i had to tweak my original design a bit. 







 The cover proved to be the trickiest part of this particular design process but i am really pleased with the final outcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment