Friday 31 October 2014

Retold Story

I researched alot of local stories and legends because these kinds of stories really interest me but when it came to realising illustrations to accompany them i just could envision it.
I then looked into other, more obscure myths and legends and found a website (The Unmuseum) where i found a very small story about a girl who had an encounter with a yeti in the Himalayan mountains.
As soon as i read it i could see the characters, the location and even to some extent a narrative.

Taken from http://www.unmuseum.org/yeti.htm

"One Sherpa girl, who was tending her yaks, described being surprised by a large ape-like creature with black and brown hair. It started to drag her off, but seemed to be startled by her screams and let her go."



After alot of research, drawing and experimentation i created some characters for the story and really tried to incorporate my style into them. When I was happy with the characters, i thumbnailed to get the right composition, created some colour swatches and drew out my design at A3 ready to colour digitally.
Really happy with the composition, the lines will not stay black though! 



Final book cover design

I am beyond pleased with how this turned out and i love how it looks on the book itself. I am happy with the colour palette, it is playful but keeps with the theme of the story, enhancing the folktale aspect of the yeti narrative. At first i didn't really like the idea of working in a square, i don't usually, but it made me think differently about my design and i don't think it would of worked so well if it was not a square format. During this assignment i also realised how i am becoming more comfortable colouring digitally and i think my skills have really improved on this front.
It was interesting to see, again, how my ideas have turned another workshop into a means of creating the concept for a children's book. It is encouraging for myself that i do not need to struggle making my designs suit a younger audience, they are headed that direction anyway. I really love the concept of this story and would love to take it further in the future, perhaps creating a story to coincide with the cover.




After i first read the original story on the internet and started to imagine my story i got really excited about the characters and i was so happy with my designs that i decided to turn one of them into a 3D model. It was a different way of working than on paper but i think i have managed to maintain my style whilst working with a different medium. I am not the best sculptor in the world but the more i practice the better i am becoming and i really enjoyed making these models! It showed me that once i have an idea or concept i am happy with i don't need to leave it and thats that... i can take that idea and apply it to other things.







No comments:

Post a Comment