Monday 3 November 2014

Adventures in Stationary

Editorial illustration is not my forte but i do enjoy the challenge of taking a text and interpreting it in a way that communicates to the audience effectively. I was intrigued by the story about the original idea for the Pritt Stick so i played with some concepts involving lightbulbs, lipsticks and other ideas but i was not really happy.
I had fun playing with different materials for my first idea but even after i had finished it still felt incomplete. I dont know if that was due to the fact theres no text with my image so it is, at the moment, out of context?
Whether it was or not, i still decided to try again. This time, instead of trying to think of a clever concept or witty way of illustrating the origin of the Pritt Stick, I decided to illustrate it as more of a celebration of the invention itself. I am comfortable with watercolours as a medium and it allowed me to work outside the lines, creating a more visually dynamic piece of work to really emphasise the fact that there is something special about this item. I think this still reflects the ideas and feelings of the original text and i am really pleased with the result.


No comments:

Post a Comment